[Foundation-l] Improving links between chapters and the Foundation

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:26:57 UTC 2011

On 03.09.2011 18:55, Jon Huggett wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2011, at 09:25 , WereSpielChequers wrote:
>
>> Increasing the mutual overlap of boards is a tried and tested way of
>> reducing such tension, it doesn't always work, (in wiki speak it isn't magic
>> pixie dust) and we are in this situation despite having two WMF members
>> nominated by the chapters. But it is an option and it is a governance model
>> that lots of organisations find works for them.
> +1
>
> Many other organizations use mutual overlap of boards to help communication, foster collaboration, and share skills (e.g. fundraising): e.g Action Contre La Faim and Opportunity International.  There use a variety of ways of managing "conflict of interest", such as by defining whether overlapping members have a veto, vote or voice.  Wikimedia Foundation has two board members selected by chapters, without any pressing and immediate concerns about "conflict of interest".  If chapter boards want overlapping membership with WMF, or other chapters, there are many ways to make it work.

The members selected in the WMF's board by chapters are not
"representatives" of the chapters.

They are only candidates that the chapters have selected and NOT
evaluated in the point of view of the chapters. A potential candidate,
for example, can be accepted although he/she has never be in touch with
the chapters.

This has been the request of WMF.

So, to be honest, there is no overlapping.

In the other hand there is no knowledge sharing to improve because the
chapters and the WMF are really different.

WMF is not an association, for example, if you would be member of WMF
and make a subscription, you can't. WMF has no knowledge of the local
environment.

The only benefit is to improve the communication and some minor
questions. But, as suggested, it's sufficient to explain this proposal
to the General Assemblies, they will judge the proposal and will vote it.

Ilario