[Foundation-l] Community consensus for software changes (Re: Show community consensus for Wikilove)

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 31 18:36:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at frontier.com> wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the English Wikipedia is the main test
> deployment for this as an experimental feature. While the feature
> remains experimental, additional deployments to other wikis would only
> happen if requested by community consensus.

That's right. Because we're not actively organizing or vetting any
efforts to localize the feature beyond its initial test deployment, we
can't deploy to other languages unless there's a clear, proposed
configuration and a consensus to use it. Given the still experimental
nature of the feature, and the relatively high cost to manage a
community-wide change, that's purely a pragmatic choice. We've made
the same choice for ArticleFeedback and other experimental features,
and will likely do so with others.
--
Erik Möller