[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Brandon Harris bharris at wikimedia.org
Sun Oct 30 16:44:12 UTC 2011

On 10/30/11 4:14 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:

>> 	One take away from this experience of yours could be that the process
>> of utilizing talk pages is extremely arcane and horrible from a user
>> experience perspective, while using WikiLove to communicate - even
>> though it is the "wrong" channel - is far easier and preferable to new
>> users.
>
> Would it be then logical to hang a proper communication tool which
> eventually would land the user on the talk page where Wikilove now hangs?

	Yes, and one has been designed.  However, we have paused the process
because the entire "talk page" process is just broken on so many levels
and it was thought that adding a new possible point of confusion would
be detrimental.

	(One of my favorite things about talk pages is that, for most people,
*there is no talk page button*.  There's a "Discussion" tab.  So when
someone says "Hey, just leave me a message on my talk page and I'll help
you out!" that means. . . nothing.)

--
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation