[Foundation-l] just wondering, are we going to take down en.wikipedia.org?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:18:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 4:05 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 October 2011 13:48, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 04:05, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>>> as I did. We both spend a lot of time making sure Wikipedia is always
>>> up and available for people to read, so it's painful to see a small
>>> proportion of a wiki's users decide to take a whole wiki offline for
>>> everyone.
>
>> But let's not forget that no matter how stable a cluster is the site
>> could be brought down by a single paper from the law enforcement,
>> politicians and alike. Life is not always as simple as "make backups
>> and you'll be safe for ever".
>

> Which is why, even though forks aren't good, forkability is essential
> backup hygiene.
>
> Has anyone tried to duplicate a running Wikipedia lately?
>
> (I'd try myself if I had a PC to had with sufficient disk space ...)
>

> - d.

How much money do you need, and can we get enough
competent coders to help us? I can't code for shit. I still
remember the Stormfront incident, and I am sure Tim Starling
does too. If we had to do it, we would have to be prepared to
put in a whole lot more computing power than the Stormfront
'idiots did.... Maybe a whole Big Mama or two... But on the other
hand, if all the editors drained out of the wikipedia site, it would
all turn the other way. A wikipedia like site can not survive without
a surplus of folks doing the whole shitty thing (pardon my french)
and alienating them is a *BIG* no-no. Really, Not kidding. Don't worry
about the small stuff like small donors. Think about the fact that they
are doing free work for you, and you treat them like are shit you can
walk all over by a board decision that seems to have spawned from
somebody in bedlam. That is what you have to worry about. Sorrry
again if my "tone" isn't to your liking. But be realistic and face the
facts. There would be no wikipedia without the people whose
traditions you are shitting down on from a great height.