[Foundation-l] Global Fundraiser Test

Megan Hernandez mhernandez at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 25 21:57:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the extra info. It would be great if a more extensive timeline
> could be entered into the actual information page. Dates I would be looking
> for:
>
> * When should translations be finished for the first batch

The first batch is currently being translated and as we bring in new
messages, we will of course be accepting translations continuously
throughout the fundraiser.

In the next week, we're planning to post the email copy we will send to past
donors at the launch of the campaign for people to see ahead of time and to
translate as well.  We're excited because this is the first year we will be
sending translated email messages to our donors.  Please help us out by
translating and sending this around to a couple people who could help with
translation.

Jon and Siko have been working hard on translation and will have more to add
on translation as we get closer to the fundraiser.  Here's the link to
the translation hub for more info:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2011/Translation

* When are relevant deadlines?
> * When is the fundraiser scheduled to start full scale testing

We started weekly testing in June and will continue to test for the next
couple of weeks until we launch the campaign. The testing will continue
throughout the fundraiser.

> * When does the actual fundraiser start

We haven't formally announced our start date but are aiming for November 7th
with the flexibility to adjust that slightly, if needed.  We're currently
performing weekly systems and messaging testing, but will go up full scale
around the week of November 7.

> * When should chapters etc plan to send their press releases if at all (and
> when will the WMF version become available for inspiration & translation)

We will put out a press release when we launch the fundraiser.  I will talk
with Jay about exact timing and synching up with the chapters.

> * When it is scheduled to end

We're aiming to take down the fundraising banners and put up thank you
messages by January 1, 2012.

> Of course not everything will be defined into a day range, but some level
> of
> indication would be nice. I know from historical reasons that it is likely
> it starts in November, but it would be great if also people who don't know
> that so well can easily find it. Of course the timeline doesn't have to be
> binding, but rather indicative for what you expect to happen at this
> moment,
> and it could change every day/week.

Yes, thank you Lodewijk for bringing up the flexibility we're keeping with
these dates and targets as our plans may change and new things will likely
come up as we make our way through the fundraiser.   We'll be sending out
more fundraiser information and specific dates as we get closer over the
next couple of weeks.

Megan