[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 23 17:11:10 UTC 2011

Am 23.10.2011 17:24, schrieb Andrew Garrett:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:27 AM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> A neutral all-or-nothing image filter would not have such side effects
>> (and would also neatly help low bandwidth usage).
> It would also make the project useless. I don't want to see the 0.01%
> (yes, rhetorical statistics again) images of medical procedures, and
> I'd avoid seeing the (much higher) X% of images that are NSFW while in
> public. That does not mean that I want to throw the baby out with the
> bathwater and not see any images whatsoever.
>
> Given the choice, I would not use such a filter.
>
> We have the technology and the capacity to allow users to make nuanced
> decisions about what they do and don't want to see. Why is this a
> problem?

At some time i should set up an record player, looping the same thing
over and over again, or set up a FAQ.

We don't have a technology to do this. It comes down to personal
preferences of some editors that do the categorization. Some might agree
with their choice, others won't. But who are we to judge about content
or over other people and their personal preferences and taste? Thats
what we start to do, as soon we introduce
"controversial/offensive-category" based filtering. That was never the
mission of the project and hopefully it will never be.

nya~