[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Andreas K. jayen466 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 16:54:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Fae <fae at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> > A cookie-based "hide all images"/"show all images" toggle clearly
> > visible in the toolbar at the top of pages. together with
> > I'd be interested in any arguments that might be made against such a
> > proposal.
>
> How about the fact that newspaper websites regularly include shocking
> images of violence and death on their main pages and have few
> complaints as they rely on editorial control rather than built-in
> software tricks? This is a solution looking for a problem, the key
> argument has always been that there is scant evidence that the public
> are asking for these options and our beloved projects already have a
> great reputation for good editorial judgement/consensus.

Media like the recent videos of Gaddafi's death customarily come with an
explicit warning that they include graphic content, and that viewer
discretion is advised. Such warnings are also given before such images are
broadcast. Viewer discretion is what the image filter is about.

Incidentally, the referendum results by project were posted yesterday, and
can be viewed at

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Results/Votes_by_project/en

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Results/Votes_by_project/de

Andreas