[Foundation-l] category free image filtering

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:36:37 UTC 2011

Am 23.10.2011 15:46, schrieb WereSpielChequers:
> ------------------------------
>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:57:51 +0200
>> From: Tobias Oelgarte<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] category free image filtering
>> To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>>
>> Am 23.10.2011 01:49, schrieb WereSpielChequers:
>>> Hi Tobias,
>>>
>>> Do youhave any problems with this category free proposal
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:WereSpielChequers/filter
>>>
>>> WereSpelChequers
>> The idea isn't bad. But it is based on the premise that there are enough
>> users of the filter to build such correlations. It requires enough input
>> to work properly and therefore enough users of the feature, that have
>> longer lists. But how often does an average logged in user find such an
>> image and handle accordingly? That would be relatively seldom, resulting
>> in a very short own list, by relatively few users, which makes it hard
>> to start the system (warm up time).
>>
>> Since i love to find ways on how to exploit systems there is one simple
>> thing on my mind. Just login to put a picture of penis/bondage/... on
>> the list and than add another one of the football team you don't like.
>> Repeat this step often enough and the system will believe that all users
>> that don't like to see a penis would also not like to see images of that
>> football team.
>>
>> Another way would be: "I find everything offensive." This would hurt the
>> system, since correlations would be much harder to find.
>>
>> If we assume good faith, then it would probably work. But as soon we
>> have spammers of this kind, it will lay in ruins, considering the amount
>> of users and corresponding relatively short lists (in average).
>>
>> Just my thoughts on this idea.
>>
>> Greetings
>> nya~
>>

> Hi Tobias,
>
> Yes if it turned out that almost no-one used this then only the "Hide all
> image - recommended for users with slow internet connections" and the "Never
> show me this image again" options would be effective. My suspicion is that
> even if globally there were only a few thousand users then it would start to
> be effective on the most contentious images in popular articles in the most
> widely read versions of wikipedia (and I suspect that many of the same image
> will be used on other language versions). The more people using it the more
> effective it would be, and the more varied phobias and cultural taboos it
> could cater for.  We have hundreds of millions of readers, if we offer them
> a free image filter then I suspect that lots will signup, but in a sense it
> doesn't matter how many do so - one of the advantages to this system is that
> when people complain about images they find offensive we will simply be able
> to respond with instructions as to how they can enable the image filter on
> their account.

> [...]
The tagging for others is the way to exploit this system or to make it
ineffective. You wrote, that you would tag images of spiders for him.
This would only work if you used his account. If you would use your own,
then you would just mix his preference with your own, giving the system
a very different impression, while it did not learn anything about him
(his account).

Another issue is the warm up time. While it could happen relatively fast
(under the assumption that there are enough people that would flag the
images) to collect the needed initial data for group building and
relation searches, there would still be the initial task to train the
system for yourself. That means that someone who has arachnophobia would
have to view at an image of a spider like creature and the guts to stay
until he hid it and then calmly set his preferences. Ironically he has
to look directly at the spider to find that button, while other images
of the same category might be represented in close proximity. A first
hard task to do, even if the system has finished it's warm up period.

To start with "all hidden" as an option would give the system an nearly
impossible task. While it is easy to determine what a user does not want
to see, it is a completely different story to determine what he wants to
see, under the premise that he does not want to be offended. That means
that he will at least have to view something
offending/ugly/disgusting/... at least once and to take an action the
system could use to learn from.

One open problem is the so called "logic/brain of the system". Until we
have an exact description on how it will exactly work, we know neither
it's strong points nor it's weak spots. Until i see an algorithm that is
able to solve this task, i can't really say, if I'm in favor or against
the proposal.

nya~