[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Oct 22 21:44:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Tobias Oelgarte
<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> No one said it would be evil. But since we already have working
> solutions for this projects, why do we need another, now global,
> solution, based on categories? Thats when it becomes hairy.

The Board of Trustees didn't pass a resolution asking for the
implementation of a filter based on categories.

The Board asked Sue "in consultation with the community, to develop
and implement a personal image hiding feature that will enable readers
to easily hide images hosted on the projects that they do not wish to
view, either when first viewing the image or ahead of time through
preference settings."

Based on the consultation and discussion that's taken place so far, I
think it's pretty safe to say that a uniform approach based on
categories has about a snowball's chance in hell of actually being
widely adopted, used and embraced by the community, if not triggering
strong opposition and antagonism that's completely against our goals
and our mission.

With that in mind, I would humbly propose that we kill with fire at
this point the idea of a category-based image filtering system.

There are, however, approaches to empowering both editors and readers
that do not necessarily suffer from the same problems.

Erik