[Foundation-l] moderation soft limit

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:10:57 UTC 2011

On 21 October 2011 16:02, Andrew Garrett <agarrett at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> These discussions have gone in circles for a month now, and it's the
> same five or ten people (yes, I am again being rhetorical, please
> don't bother checking that number) arguing past each other and posting
> their entrenched positions again and again.

I'm not sure that's true. There were 1382 posts to foundation-l in
September (more than double the average for the few months before).
The 7 of us that posted more than 30 times (I was surprised to see
myself back on a frequent posters list - I'd been doing so well!)
accounted for 474 of those (34% of the total).

In August, the top 7 posters (different people) accounted for 158 out
of 614 posts (26%). In July, it was 161 out of 489 (33%). (Feel free
to check those numbers, I worked them out very quickly and may have
made mistakes.)

It seems that the distribution of posts between posters was about the
same in September as it was in previous months, it's just that
everyone was posting more. Perhaps the soft limit should be the
greater of 30 and 5% of the total posts so far that month (for most
months in the last year, those would be about the same).