[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Andreas K. jayen466 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:26:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, but *not* when it comes to images' basic illustrative
> properties.  Again, I elaborated in the text quoted below.

This process can be applied to images depicting almost any subject,
> even if others decline to do so.

I mentioned before that a video of rape would have basic illustrative
properties in the article on rape, yet still be deeply inappropriate. Rather
than enhancing the educational value of the article, it would completely
destroy it. Whether to add a media file to an article or not is always a
cost/benefit question. It does not make sense to argue that any benefit,
however small and superficial, outweighs any cost, however large and
substantive.

> > We're coming back to the same sticking point: you're assuming that
> > reputable sources omit media because they are "objectionable", rather
> than
> > for any valid reason, and you think they are wrong to do so.
>
> No, I'm *not* assuming that this is the only reason, nor am I claiming
> that this "wrong" for them to do.
>
> We *always* must independently determine whether a valid reason to
> omit media exists.  We might share some such reasons (e.g. low
> illustrative value, inferiority to other available media, copyright
> issues) with reliable sources.  Other reasons (e.g. non-free
> licensing) might apply to us and not to reliable sources.  Still other
> reasons (e.g. "upsetting"/"offensive" nature, noncompliance with local
> print/broadcast regulations, incompatibility with paper, space/time
> constraints) might apply to reliable sources and not to us.
>
> Again, we needn't ponder why a particular illustration was omitted or
> what was available to a publication by its deadline.  We need only
> determine whether the images currently available to us meet the
> standards that we apply across the board.

I would rather apply the standards of reputable publications in our
articles, and leave the rest to a Commons link. YMMV.

Andreas