[Foundation-l] Is random article truly random

Andreas K. jayen466 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:02:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com
> wrote:

> As a person from a more nordic and perhaps even ruder than brazilian
> culture, We did confront a teacher who was in her retirement age with
> images worse than genital piercings. And, yes, she not only blushed
> but turned livid, But she kept on teaching us biology. ! Not saying
> what we did was right, as kids. Not saying she shouldn't have done
> more to get the stuff from being thrown about. But there is a point
> there about tolerances. If an elderly lady was able to keep teaching
> while being bombarded with images of withered old female genitals
> being inserted with electrical appliance cable stashing piping, why
> can't wikipedia? I know this sounds totally offensive on the face of
> it, but surely that is the whole point. Being against censorship only
> matters when there is a potential outrage there...

Note that your biology teacher is actually the sort of person we would like
to start contributing to Wikipedia.

Not everybody uses the Internet in the same way. Many younger users are
fairly inured to porn and gore, having seen it all before. But a lot of the
people who have something to offer Wikipedia in the, you know, *educational*
field, are turned off by it, finding it crass and juvenile.

Andreas