[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Oct 19 19:35:56 UTC 2011

* Andreas K. wrote:
>I see our vision and mission as entirely service-focused. We are not doing
>this for our own amusement:

You are talking about the Wikimedia Foundation while I was talking about
Wikipedians. I certainly "do this" for my own amusement, not to satisfy.

>That's a fascinating piece of work. :) If I understand it correctly, the
>colour of each rectangle reflects average number of page views per article
>in this category (blue = low, orange = high), and the area of each rectangle
>reflects the number of articles in that category. What do the dropdown menus
>do? I can't figure them out. Do you have an FAQ for this application?

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikide-l/2010-January/022758.html
has some additional information. By default, the rectangles are sized
according to the number of articles in the category and coloured by the
median number of requests per article in the category. So a very big
rectangle with a cold colour indicates there are many articles under it
that nobody reads, while small rectangles with a warm colour indicate
categories with few articles that draw a lot of traffic. If you set the
colour to "Anzahl" and the size to "(inv) Anzahl Artikel", the smallest
category will be in the left top and the colours get warmer towards the
bottom right corner. The third dropdown specifies the layout algorithm.