[Foundation-l] Is random article truly random

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:34:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Béria Lima <berialima a gmail.com> wrote:
> Never tryed in en.wiki, but in PT.wiki we even have a 15 radom articles
> selection to see the quality of pt.wiki articles in a small scale.
>
> He did it 5 times from 2005 to 2008, and I never saw a sex article on it. In
> fact we used to joke that pt.wiki is made only by French villages and
> asteroids (because EVERYONE get one of them in their 15 articles) ;)
>
> You people can see it all here:
> http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio:Indech/15_artigos_aleat%C3%B3rios

Back in 2005 it.wp almost doubled the number of articles by bot-adding
37000 French municipalities, and people started complaining at the
Village Pump that Special:Randompage was always returning French
municipalities. We have a specific page explaining that fact:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiuto:Una_voce_a_caso

Of course there are far fewer pages about sex-related stuff, so the
chances to get two of them are pretty low. Finding porn on the
internet still remains much easier.
Marco