[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:22:48 UTC 2011

On 18 October 2011 11:08, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 October 2011 10:43, Thomas Morton <morton.thomas at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If an individual expresses a preference to hide certain content, it is
> > reasonable for us to provide that option for use at their discretion.
> > Anything else is like saying "No, your views on acceptability are wrong
> and
> > we insist you must see this".[1]
> > *That* is censorship.
>

> This argument appears to be of the form "black is *actually* just a
> very dark shade of white, so offering a choice between beige or cream
> to replace black is entirely acceptable."

Care to expand on that; I've turned it over in my head and don't see the
connection :)

 What I am saying is that if someone prefers black, let them have black.

> 1. I appreciate that this is the status quo at the moment, I still think
> it
> > is censorship, and this is why we must address it as a problem.
>

> This is a combination of argument by assertion and the politician's
> syllogism.

 Not really; it is simply staving off the whole argument of "but this is how
we currently do things", which isn't always a good viewpoint.

Tom