[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 00:56:46 UTC 2011

Personality conflicts aside, we're noting that non-sexual search terms in Commons can prominently return sexual images of varying explicitness, from mild nudity to hardcore, and that this is different from entering a sexual search term and finding that Google fails to filter some results.

I posted some more Commons search terms where this happens on Meta; they include

Black, Caucasian, Asian;

Male, Female, Teenage, Woman, Man;

Vegetables;

Drawing, Drawing style;

Barbie, Doll;

Demonstration, Slideshow;

Drinking, Custard, Tan;

Hand, Forefinger, Backhand, Hair;

Bell tolling, Shower, Furniture, Crate, Scaffold;

Galipette – French for "somersault"; this leads to a collection of 1920s pornographic films which are undoubtedly of significant historical interest, but are also pretty much as explicit as any modern representative of the genre.

Andreas