[Foundation-l] 6 reasons we're in another book-burning period in history

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 22:52:11 UTC 2011

On 14 October 2011 21:10, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I love Cracked. It's Wikipedia with dick jokes.
>
> http://www.cracked.com/article_19453_6-reasons-were-in-another-book-burning-period-in-history_p2.html
>
> To be ha ha only serious for a moment, this touches on why we all
> bother doing this.

Doubtful. Heck to some extent its probably our fault. Why bother
holding books on say warships when Wikipedia already provides an
unreasonable amount of information about them. So out go the old
warship annuals. Except they don't even bother to remove them from the
catalog (me bitter?)

There is relatively little destruction of actual information going on.
As well as a lot of the stuff being fiction the non-fiction stuff is
mostly one of multiple copies.

The problem is it does cause is that the information is increasingly
locked up. Paper archives have for the last decade or so one of the
loopholes in payways. With the removal of such archives the paywalls
become more controlling.

--
geni