[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 04:45:36 UTC 2011

bla

>________________________________

It's not a question of interpretation; it is the very letter of the policy. Due weight and neutrality are established by reliable sources.

Now, let's look at your example: if you and I lived in a society that did not produce reliable sources about women, and refused to publish pictures of them, then I guess we would be unlikely to work on a wiki that

- defines neutrality as fairly representing reliable sources without bias,
- derives its definition of due weight from the weight any topic (incl. women) is given in reliable sources,
- requires verifiability in reliable sources for every statement made in our wiki,
- and disallows original research.

Instead, we would start a revolutionary wiki with a political agenda that

- denounces the status quo,
- criticises the inhuman and pervasive bias against women,
- refuses to be bound by it,
- sets out to start a new tradition of writing about, and depicting, women,
- and vows to subvert the established system in order to create a new world.

We would set out to be *different* from the existing sources.

However, in our world, that is not how Wikipedia views reliable sources. Wikipedia is not set up to be in antagonism to its sources; it is set up to be in agreement with them.

Andreas