[Foundation-l] The copyright question: What would Gandhi do?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 12 22:06:53 UTC 2011

On 10/12/11 11:39 AM, Achal Prabhala wrote:
> A friend of mine in South Africa, Isabel Hofmeyr, passed on this image
> of the first page of the first edition of the English translation of
> Gandhi's "Hind Swaraj" - or "Indian Home Rule" in translation. (Hind
> Swaraj was the blueprint for India's freedom movement).
>
> The book was published in South Africa in 1909, and is rarely available.
> Isabel was able to see it courtesy Uma Dhupelia-Mesthrie, who owns a copy.
>
> And the copyright legend on this front page?
>
> It reads: "No rights reserved"
>
> Isabel and Uma kindly offered to donate the image to Commons, and you
> can see it here:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gandhi-Home-Rule-First-Edition-1909.jpg
>

> Finally, an answer to the great copyright question that has never been
> asked: "What would Gandhi do?" :)

A copy of the 1921 G. A. Natesen printing from Madras is available on
Internet Archives.  It includes a new foreword.

http://www.archive.org/stream/hindswarajorindi00ganduoft#page/n3/mode/2up

Is the Gujarati original available anywhere?  Not that I would be able
to do anything with it, but there is always a benefit to having such
versions for those who would prefer alternative translations.

What Gandhi would do is of no concern to a copyright troll looking to
make a buck. :-)

Ray