[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Andrew Crawford acrawford at laetabilis.com
Wed Oct 12 14:15:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Thomas Morton <
morton.thomas at googlemail.com> wrote:

> You've confused "a fact" with factual.

I've confused the adjective form with the noun form of "fact"? I'm quite
sure that I have.

*The judge convicted Abby of killing Betty, saying that the overwhelming

> evidence indicated manslaughter.*
>
> The latter is factual, and contains facts & opinions.

It contains facts about opinions - it does not itself express an opinion. It
is both factual, and a fact.

But this is really irrelevant to the problem at hand

Definitely!

> - because we are not
> talking about presenting a factually different piece of prose to suit an
> individuals preference

Although that is true, it doesn't make any difference. There is information
content in an image - if there wasn't, we wouldn't need any. Making a
decision to use or not to use an image is an editorial decision, and in some
cases it could enhance or detract from the neutrality of the article.

> Removal of, say, a nude image on the Vagina article does not bias or
> detract
> from the information.

Then we can solve the problem by removing the image completely, since the
article would be completely unaffected by it.

Cheers,

Andrew (Thparkth)