[Foundation-l] Image filtering without undermining the category system

Andrew Crawford acrawford at laetabilis.com
Wed Oct 12 14:07:54 UTC 2011

In general I think this is the best and most practical proposal so far.
Having filter users do the classifying is the only practical option. In my
opinion, it is unfortunately still problematic.

1. It is quite complicated from the user's point of view. Not only do they
have to register an account, but they have to find and understand these
options. For the casual reader who just doesn't want to see any more
penises, or pictures of Mohammed, that is quite a lot to ask. The effort it
would take to implement a system like this might outweigh the benefit to the
small number of readers who would actually go through this process.

2. It is obviously subject to gaming. How long would it take 4chan to figure
out they can create new accounts, and start thumbs-upping newly-uploaded
pictures of penises while mass thumbs-downing depictions of Mohammed?

3. How can we prevent the use of this data for censorship purposes? Would we
keep the reputation information of each image secret? I imagine many
Wikipedians would want to access that data for legitimate editorial reasons.

Cheers,

Andrew (Thparkth)