[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Oct 12 01:17:52 UTC 2011

* David Gerard wrote:
>Not sure the blurring system would do the job for a workplace. At a
>distance, the blurred penis still looks exactly like a penis ...

There are many alternatives to a blur effect. A much simpler effect
would be a Small Images option that shrinks all images to icon size.
The information you get is about the same as with a blur effect, but
the images would be even easier to ignore and couldn't be recognized
at a distance. There would be problems with maps as the point over-
lay depends on the size, but that should not be that hard to fix.

It would also match what I do when I am unsure whether I am about to
load some web page which I am not sure I want to see the images on,
I tell my browser to zoom out, load the page, and then decide whether
it's okay to zoom in, or if I should go View -> Images -> No Images,
or close the page or whatever.

It's interesting to note that advocates of discriminatory schemes do
not discuss, as far as I am aware, how to communicate the tagging of
some images as somehow controversial to users who do not filter. I'd
wonder how they feel about adding some notice like "Seeing this image
makes some people feel bad" to the image caption for all images that
would be filtered by one of the discriminatory filter options.