[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Tue Oct 11 01:20:11 UTC 2011

* Sue Gardner wrote:
>This is how the system is supposed to work. The Board identified a
>problem; the staff hacked together a proposed solution, and we asked
>the community what it thought. Now, we're responding to the input and
>we're going to iterate. This is how it's supposed to work: we mutually
>influence each other.

The Board asked you to develop this feature in consultation with the
community. The manner in which you chose to do that has led to parts
of the community discussing the best way to split from the community.

>I'm not saying it isn't messy and awkward and flawed in many respects:
>it absolutely is. But nobody is playing games with you. The Board is
>sincere. It is taking seriously the German community, and the others
>who have thoughtfully opposed the filter.

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-June/066624.html

  The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction of the Board of Trustees,
  will be holding a vote to determine whether members of the community
  support the creation and usage of an opt-in personal image filter

Funny correlation: all polls about the image filter that explained the
pros and cons to voters found voters overwhelmingly opposed to it.