[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Bob the Wikipedian bobthewikipedian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 00:36:04 UTC 2011

The question arises, however, of where to draw the rather thick gray
line. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, take for instance the
famous Renaissance paintings; often innocent at first glance, but
perhaps one of the subjects is nude. Perhaps in the background there is
a nude individual. Maybe that individual is too tiny to see clearly. Or
perhaps it's adorned with nude cherubim around the corners. Or maybe
there's a photo of something where in the background you can see a nude
sculpture. And that's just the topic of nudity within the scope of the
Renaissance art-- it gets worse.

This is precisely the thing that makes it difficult to decide whether to
block an image or not.

Whatever system is used, it needs to be a bit more intricate than just
"either / or".

Bob