[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 04:44:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 6:47 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> David Gerard wrote:

>>> I fear this point will need restating every time someone claims the
>>> "referendum" shows support.
>>
>> I wonder what the image filter referendum results would have had to look
>> like in order to get anything other than a rambling "we march forward,
>> unabated!" letter from the Board.
>>
>> MZMcBride
>
> Hi MZM and all! Greetings from the end of a long -- but productive and
> inspiring -- meeting weekend.
>
> "Marching forward unabated" is not, in fact, what we are saying. The
> board, and individual members of the board, are quite aware of all of
> the criticisms from the vote and from the conversations on and off
> list -- believe me. This is not an official report on behalf of the
> board, but here is what we discussed doing:
>
> * not going ahead with the category-based design that was proposed in
> the mockups; it is clear there are too many substantive problems that
> have been raised with this. Although this design (or any other) was
> actually not specified in the resolution, it is obvious that many of
> the critical comments were about using categorization in particular,
> and we hear that.
> * we are asking the staff to explore alternative designs, e.g. for a
> way for readers to flag images for themselves, and collapse individual
> images. This isn't fixed yet because it shouldn't be: we need to have
> a further period of iterative community & technical design.
> * not changing or revoking the Board resolution, because we do still
> think that there is a problem with our handling of potentially
> controversial content that needs to be addressed. We don't want to
> ignore the criticism, and we *also* don't want to ignore the positive
> comments from those who identified a problem and thought such a tool
> would be helpful and useful in addressing it. Our view is holistic.
> The Board discussed amending the resolution (we think, in particular,
> that the word 'filter' has led to many assumptions about design), but
> decided that for now the language of the resolution is broad enough
> that it leaves room for alternative solutions. And we also do not want
> to ignore the rest of the resolution -- the parts that call for better
> tools for commons, and that lay out that we respect the principle of
> least astonishment.
>
> The speculation on this list the last few weeks about what individual
> board members think and want has generally been wildly, hilariously
> off base -- I have seen many statements about board member motivations
> that couldn't have been more wrong -- but so has the speculation that
> we don't care and have not been paying attention. My own views on
> whether a filter as proposed is workable have changed over the past
> couple of months. I appreciate especially the reasoned comments I have
> seen from people who have taken the time to think it through and who
> [...]

I would like to spread a wide expanse of blue water between the view that
there are no trolls at all opposing the filter, and the view that the history
of this issue does seem to inform; trolls have been driving the filter issue
historically. Never gained any traction. Now it seems (only talking about
appearances) the trolls are running the asylum. I know that is not accurate
and you do too. But it is a perception we have to address, head on. This
issue is a Perennial Proposals Elephant Graveyard. That is the main
thrust. What people in favour of "doing something" are still trying to achieve
is "no we are not doing what we promised to not do, nudge nudge, wink wink.".