[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 9 18:03:32 UTC 2011

On 10/09/2011 07:20 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> The community doesn't trust the WMF at the moment. A firm commitment
> not to go against an overwhelming community opinion would go a long
> way towards fixing that.

That's exactly the situation. Right now, we're in a deadlock:
WMF is waiting for the community to engange in a constructive dialog,
forming new ideas and consensus.
The community members* are waiting for a signal of trust by the WMF, a
real recognition of their opposition, a clear statment that WMF and the
community are on a par in this discussion and neither will do anything
deemed unacceptable by the other, before they will rethink their own
position.

You know, it's hard to lead a constructive discussion on controversial
content when half of the people are thinking about forking. Believe me,
I've tried.**

--Tobias

* that is, most of the opposing community members
**
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2011-09-11_Podiumsdiskussion_Bildfilter_(360p).ogv