[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sun Oct 9 17:16:04 UTC 2011

Discussing 'what if' scenarios in public rarely does any good if those same
people have full power to avoid that scenario in the first place. Both the
community and the board can avoid the sitation that we don't reach
agreement. Therefore, discussing 'what if we don't, what will you do' will
most likely not improve the arguments, discussion or outcome for anyone, but
only makes that very scenario more likely to happen. Let's cross that river
when we get there.

The same goes for the very theoretical 'the board might not accept a board
member nomination'. No such situation happened ever in the history of the
foundation, quite the contrary - they have sometimes appointed people who
ended on the nomination list lower than required *as well* (for example
Oscar). I don't see any reason why that should happen any time soon, so
perhaps discussing that would be a theoretical exersize - very interesting
but hardly productive to this specific discussion.

What would be very constructive for me is getting more hard data which we
can use to have the discussion we need to have. Getting more data about how
our readers think about the topic for example. On whether the difference in
opinion is mainly geographical, related to education/background or to hair
color - whether the community (as has been suggested by some) consists of a
biased group of authors or that this is actually quite representative for
their regions. No conclusions can be drawn automatically from that, but it
would help us in getting to the core of the discussion, and also in figuring
out if there would be a system (filter or not) that both would help resolve
the issues people see, and not obstruct others.

The civil war scenario sounds horrible, but when I read some discussions, it
seems some people are all too eager to steer into that direction, hoping
that 'the others' will steer away first. Perhaps we should just slow down a
bit and map the situation a bit better.

Best regards,

Lodewijk