[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 13:18:07 UTC 2011

On 9 October 2011 13:55, Ting Chen <tchen at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The majority of editors who responded to the referendum are not opposed
> to the feature. However, a significant minority is opposed.

How do you know? The "referendum" didn't ask whether people were opposed or not.

> We are not going to revisit the resolution from May, for the moment: we
> let that resolution stand unchanged.
>
> But, we are asking Sue and the staff to continue the conversation with
> editors, and to find a solution that strikes the best balance between
> serving our readers, empowering and supporting editors, and dedicating
> an appropriate amount of effort to the problem. I believe that is
> possible within the language of the resolution the Board already passed,
> which leaves open most details of how implementation should be achieved.

You haven't commented on the votes that have taken place on the German
and French Wikipedias that show a very large majority opposed to the
feature on those projects (I believe the German one creates binding
policy on that project although the French one doesn't). Your original
resolution doesn't go into any details about whether the feature
should be forced upon individual projects that clearly don't want it.
What are you views, and the views of the board, on that issue?