[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:44:28 UTC 2011

Ray Saintonge, 08/10/2011 11:11:
> I'm happy that the Italian language Wikipedia is back in business, and I
> hope that in the future projects will find better ways to protest than
> suicide strategies.  The key point is that Wikipedias are based on
> languages, not countries. For Italian there is a high correlation
> between language and country, but that does not mean that there are no
> readers in neighboring countries nor in the larger Italian diaspora.
> Other major languages are official in several important countries, and
> it would not do to shut one of them down in response to a bad proposed
> law in only one country.

I'm quite surprised that you reiterate this argument, Ray. There are
many reasons why the blackout can be considered an excessive reaction,
but I don't understand this. Following the same argument, you could say
that Lybia workers can't go on strike if this affects foreigners ability
to have oil or gas. But perhaps I didn't understand you; I don't quite
get the discussion about the alleged "right to strike vs. right to be
informed" thing.

The Italian language Wikipedia couldn't work without its contributors
living in Italy. Period. Are you challenging this?

> Protesting bad laws should be a responsibility that belongs at the
> chapter level, under the assumption that it is the chapter that is most
> familiar with the laws of its country, and what can be done with the
> least harm to those around them.

This is the normal scenario, but doesn't prove than an exceptional one
may arise (as in this case).

Nemo