[Foundation-l] WMF blog post on Italian Wikipedia

onthebrinkandfalling at aol.com onthebrinkandfalling at aol.com
Wed Oct 5 15:07:00 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com>

>By the way, our free licenses also need to show the text authors. Thousand
>people re-use the contents and link to the Wikipedia page. As far as I know,
>no history is available now at Italian Wikipedia to look up. CC-BY-SA/GFDL
>violation?

If that were really an issue, Articles would never be allowed to be deleted. An example:
http://unicornbacon.com/blog/2007/05/06/weird-wiki-markovian-parallax-denigrate/ has content from Wikipedia,
with a link to the article on EnWp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markovian_parallax_denigrate The article
has since been deleted via AfD - so all re-use of that article that existed prior to deletion now has broken attribution.

Of course, I'm not sure if WMF has really looked in-depth at this, from a legal angle.

-Brink