[Foundation-l] Image filter again (was: WMF blog post...)

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Wed Oct 5 09:45:48 UTC 2011

(changing the topic, since hijacking a thread is considered inpolite)

I think indeed they are incomparable. One is an internal political
discussion, the other is totally external and legal. That alone makes it a
totally different discussion - because I still believe the Wikimedia
Foundation will be reasonable in this and if there is a true majority
against it, I can hardly see them implementing it without further ado. If
the WMF would persue this, you would still have the option to fork Wikipedia
- and continue elsewhere. However, forking a country has proven to be more
controversial and is significantly harder. And if you dont cooperate with
the image filter, the worst thing really that could potentially (and still
unlikely) happen, is getting blocked from *editing* Wikipedia. In the
Italian case, you would get sued and pay high fines.

We're talking about totally different ball parks here.

Lodewijk

No dia 5 de Outubro de 2011 10:53, Thomas Morton <