[Foundation-l] Blanking a Wikipedia, a very bad idea

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Tue Oct 4 22:25:20 UTC 2011

On 10/4/11 11:20 PM, Jalo wrote:
>> the de facto threshold is whatever allows them to get consensus and have an
>> admin make the
>> necessary changes and not be reverted
>
> You can see the consensus in
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bar/Discussioni/Comma_29_e_Wikipedia
>
> I know, it's in italian and google translate sucks, but you can see the
> "opposite" "favorable" templates. Italian wiki community (not only italian
> inhabitants) are compact

This is one reason I think non-it.wikipedian action should be fairly
cautious. Afaik, language communities generally run their wikis'
affairs, unless they depart so far from the mission that the Wikimedia
Foundation finds it necessary to overrule them and intervene. It's
relatively easy to intervene to e.g. desysop a few rogue admins and
restore control to the community, but if the vast majority of a
language's editors and admins are making the decision deemed "rogue",
it's a bit trickier.

It may be that, their point made, the it.wiki community would agree to
put the site back up in a day or two, or, if they don't want to put it
back up themselves, perhaps informally agree to have the Wikimedia
Foundation restore it without opposing that move. Imo that would be the
best action. I don't think it would be helpful to intervene in a
heavy-handed manner (certainly no mass-desysopping of an entire
language's editor base).

-Mark