[Foundation-l] Blanking a Wikipedia, a very bad idea

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 20:55:39 UTC 2011

Another important point here is that Wikipedia is an international project;
there are speakers of Italian in Switzerland, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and
in smaller numbers in lots of other countries who may not care so much what
happens in Italian politics. If the UK proposed a new law to shut down
Wikipedia, what would US, Australian, Canadian and other non-UK users say if
sysops tried to shut down en.wikipedia for everybody? Granted, the Italian
language doesn't have the same level of multinational character as en.wp,
but Wikipedias are for languages, not countries, and we can't forget this.