[Foundation-l] Dead Sea Scrolls

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 4 18:09:24 UTC 2011

On 10/4/11 8:16 AM, Anthony wrote:
> If WMF wants to copy *the text* of the scrolls, I don't think anyone
> is going to have a problem with that.  The copyright notice claims
> copyright "in the digital images of the manuscripts", not in the text.

Well, there doesn't appear to be any basis for a copyright claim on the
images of the scrolls themselves, as neither Israeli law nor American
law recognizes "sweat of the brow". The only valid claim would be on
reconstructions of the text. Of course if we have no immediate need for
the images and want maintain a good relationship with the Israeli
museum, it may not be a good idea to mass upload them to Commons.

Ryan Kaldari