[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:47:40 UTC 2011

> Does the proposed law say who is responsible for compliance? I would
> be surprised if it was anyone other than the WMF.

The website owner (it's very clear over this), the website owner is also
directly responsible for non-compliance.

Legally speaking,
> we're all just users of the website. We're responsible for our own
> actions, of course, but not for anything else. I doubt Italian law
> sees it any differently.

Personally I couldn't 100% say that this law is something that could be
turned onto an individual in civil litigation - but equally I see no reason
that it could be used in that way. Much easier to sue under standard
defamation laws (which we are under risk of daily anyway!).

As more of this comes to light it seems to be a protest, rather than
realisation of a fear or an actual direct threat.

Which is fine - but as pointed out - locking the whole Wiki is rather
dramatic & self-serving :S

Tom