[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:45:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

Wikipedia is a promise, that promise is "free knowledge at all time". By
locking read access, you break that promise, you destroy part of the
trust that our readers have in Wikipedia.

In order to get the readers attention, it seems equally efficient to me
to have a huge sitenotice, but without blocking read access completely.

You can appeal to the reader, warn the reader, make the reader put up
with extra effort to get the informtion that he seeks, but please do not
eliminate the reason why he visits Wikipedia. Otherwise, he'll just stop
using our site.

Thanks,
Tobias

Ps.: Other than that, I support your protests. Wikipedia /has/ power in
the world, and it's a just effort to use that power to prevent changes,
that would render it impossible for us to pursuit our mission.