[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:53:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Giovanni (or Donaldo?),
>
> Has anyone at it.wp been in touch with Foundation staff? Locking a
> major wiki seems like a pretty big step, perhaps they could provide
> some advice or resources? Am I correct in understanding this lock as a
> protest of the proposed law, since it hasn't been discussed or voted
> upon in parliament yet? Such a political protest seems like an
> unprecedented step for a Wikimedia project.

Nathan makes a good point. It was the main reason I brought it up here, so
the staff and the rest of the community know.

It might be a few hours till WMF staff would be able to comment. But this is
a political protest, if the Italian community does indeed wish to go through
with it, I hope they get in touch with WMF first and remain in contact with
the rest of the community through it.

Theo