[Foundation-l] Dead Sea Scrolls

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Oct 3 21:21:49 UTC 2011

On 10/03/11 11:34 AM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> I think we are fairly safe hosting the images of the original fragments,
> even by Israeli law. Israel does not recognize "sweat of the brow" and
> requires a minimal degree of originality to claim copyright.[1][2]

Then it is a question of fact.  Do these images involve that minimal
degree of originality? Do we need to publish the scans? How important is
a good relationship with the museum?

> The Israeli Supreme Court did declare that a transcription of the Dead
> Sea Scrolls was copyrightable, but mostly because a large percentage of
> the source material was lost or damaged and required educated guesswork
> to fill in the gaps. If we were doing our own guesswork based on
> photographs of the fragments, I think it would be reasonable to say that
> we are the sole copyright holders of such a transcription.

Absolutely!  It still takes someone with an understanding of the
material to do that kind of work. Without that, this question is moot.

Ray