[Foundation-l] Dead Sea Scrolls

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Oct 3 13:16:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> On 10/01/11 5:36 AM, Anthony wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva
>> <tolkiendili at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> In practical terms, what they can do? Wikipedia is hosted in US.
>>> Therefore, for a successful takedown, the museum must sue in US.
>> Well, for one thing, they could sue reusers.
>>
>> WMF using the work is one thing.  WMF telling the rest of the world
>> that the work is public domain and anyone can use it for any purpose
>> without permission, is another.
>>
> The people who really feel offended by the Israel Museum's claim would
> do best to accept responsibility for their claims. Given the nature of
> the work there is perhaps a little more skill to these scans than was
> the case for NPG portraits. I don't know how a court decision would turn
> out.  I am certainly not confident enough to pursue this myself, nor
> would I want to do it for material I don't understand.
>
> Anyone who simply feels that these scans should be freely available can
> simply put them up on his own site in whatever country he wants, and
> wait for the lawsuit to happen or not happen.  There are some areas
> where I feel that Wikimedia policies about copyright are wrong, and even
> paranoid, but I would be wrong to insist that any WMF project host them
> unless I am ready to defend a legal action against a site that I fully
> own and control.  That's what being responsible is about.

I don't see a problem with hosting them on projects which allow
non-free material, with a tag at the least saying that The Israel
Museum claims copyright.  The museum doesn't seem to mind
copying/distribution "for research or private study".  But the list of
projects which allow non-free material doesn't include the most
relevant project - wikisource.

The "free content only" rule is meant to protect third parties, not WMF.

But note here that I'm only talking about the images, not the text.
The photographs do not, and are not meant to, depict the "image" which
was created on the scrolls hundreds of years ago.  They are meant to,
and do, depict the scrolls as they existed at the time the photos were
taken.  This, I believe, is a major distinction between the NPG
portraits and this one.

The scrolls themselves were created to depict text, not an image, and
there is there seems to be absolutely no dispute at all that the
*text* of the scrolls (to the extent it can be determined) is public
domain.