[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 15:57:27 UTC 2011

David,

You say that these organisations do what they do to maximise their profits. I would counter
that they maximise their profits by serving their customers as well as they can do. Serving
customers well is something that we should aspire to as well, regardless of whether our
customers are paying us or not. We are providing a service; it is a well-established adage
of quality management that the quality of a service is defined by the customer, not the
provider. Providers who insist that they know better than the customer population go out of
business. You'll probably say now that no one surveyed the customer population, and I
would agree with you -- as far as I am concerned, the referendum should have targeted
readers. But going by what commercial companies do is not a bad method to gauge
customer preferences. While we're not out of pocket if we fail to respond to customer
wishes, these companies are, and they do and pay for research to prevent that.

As for your question about the creampie example, some Wikipedians have said they might
use the image filter at work, just so they don't have explicit images popping up on screen.
Speaking for myself, my wife and son do sometimes give me a funny look when they walk
past me and I'm on some page with in-your-face explicit media content, like the creampie
article -- the point is I'm not on there to look at the juvenile and embarrassing picture on that
page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creampie_(sexual_act) ), but to sort out some issue with
the text. Yet that is not apparent to someone walking past you. I might well use the image
filter, just to stop freaking out my son when he comes out of the kitchen.

Andreas