[Foundation-l] Experiment: Blurring all images on Wikipedia

Phil Nash phnash at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 02:10:41 UTC 2011

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   A while ago I made a bookmarklet that blurs images in articles on
> the english Wikipedia and reveals them when the user hovers over the
> image. I now had a chance to test this as a skin.js extension.

For a start, users would have to opt in to this, which may not be
appropriate for casual readers brought to us from Google and other external
links. I'm not sure it's a good idea to make it a default for unregistered
users, many, if not most, of whom, might not want to be presented with a
pre-filtered version of Wikipedia, and would be surprised to be so
presented. It also presents a "slippery slope" argument in that nobody is
realistically qualified, nor would want to be tasked with, drawing the line
as to what images should and should not be treated thus. A similar argument
applies to textual content of articles; however we try to achieve
neutrality, it seems that there will always be some POV-pushers who will
argue the toss ad infinitum, and we don't accommodate them. Neither should
we accommodate those who do not understand that a value-neutral, world
value, is not the same as their value. These people have their own texts,
and I think that our response should be that they are welcome to them.
Nobody is being forced to use Wikipedia, after all.