[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Nov 29 12:03:31 UTC 2011

Alasdair wrote:
> If the feeling is that such a "weak" filter would (regardless of how the
> pre-populated "filter lists" are created) still attract significant
> opposition on many projects then I personally don't see how there can be
> any filter created that is likely to gain consensus support and still be
> useful - except for one that gives users the option to hide "all" images by
> default and then click on the greyed out images to load them if they want
> to see them.

You're confusing the opinions of a few extremists on foundation-l with
general consensus. It's unclear what percent of users actually want this
feature, particularly as the feature's implementation hasn't been fully
developed. A few people on this list have been trying very hard to make it
seem as though they're capable of accepting some magical invisible pink
unicorn-equivalent media filter, but the truth is that they're realistically
and pragmatically opposed to any media filter, full stop. This is an
extremist opinion (it's not as though extremist opinions are particularly
uncommon around here).

Personally, I want to believe that if the Wikimedia Board is making such a
strong push for this feature to be implemented, there are very good reasons
for doing so. Whether or not that's the case, I wouldn't look (closely or
broadly) at the comments on this mailing list and try to divine
community-wide views.

MZMcBride