[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Nov 24 14:09:14 UTC 2011

Andreas K. wrote:
> The way this would work is that each project page would have an "Enable
> image filtering" entry in the side bar. Clicking on this would add a "Hide"
> button to each image displayed on the page. Clicking on "Hide" would then
> grey the image, and automatically add it to the user's personal filter list.

I think this sounds pretty good. Is there any indication how German
Wikipedians generally view an implementation like this? I can't imagine
English Wikipedians caring about an additional sidebar link/opt-in feature
like this.

> Apart from enabling users to hide images and add them to their PFL as they
> encounter them in surfing our projects, users would also be able to edit
> the PFL manually, just as it is possible to edit one's watchlist manually.
> In this way, they could add any image file or category they want to their
> PFL. They could also add filter lists precompiled for them by a third
> party. Such lists could be crowdsourced by people interested in filtering,
> according to whatever cultural criteria they choose.

Some sort of subscription service would work well here, right? Where the
list can auto-update from a central list on a regular basis. I think that's
roughly how in-browser ad block lists work. Seems like it could work well.
Keep who pulls what lists private, though, I suppose.

> For unregistered users, their PFL could be stored in a cookie.

I'm not sure you'd want to put it in a cookie, but that's an implementation
detail.

Watchlist editing is generally based on looking at titles. I don't suppose
you'd want a gallery of hidden images, but it would make filter-list editing
easier, heh.

MZMcBride