[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement)

Tomasz Kozłowski odder.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 10:06:11 UTC 2011

[I am crossposting this announcement to two mailing lists, feel free to
pick up the topic on either of them.]

Dear All,
I am--yet again!--delighted to announce that Wikimedia Polska, the
Polish chapter of the WMF, is organising a travelling exhibition of the
winning POTY contest pictures. 16 images chosen by Wikimedians from all
over the world in the annual POTY contests from 2006 onwards are going
to be shown at exhibitions in various places around Poland.

As some of you may recall, the exhibition premièred during the 10th
anniversary of the Polish Wikipedia conference, having been visited by a
few hundred visitors in just two weeks; some images from the pubic
viewing of the exhibition are available on Wikimedia Commons at
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Picture_of_the_Year_exhibition_-_Pozna%C5%84_2011>.

Our first stop is Przystanek Książka (a Polish wordplay for "Book
Break"), a media library of the Public Library of the district of Ochota
in Warsaw. The exhibition starts on Monday, November 28, and will remain
until the end of the year. 16 pictures, the best of the best of the
Wikimedia movement, will be shown in an exhibition open for the public,
with descriptions available in Polish, English and German.

For those of you currently living in Warsaw or going to visit the
capital in the upcoming weeks: the library is located at 42 Grójecka
Street, just two tram stops (and 8 minutes) away from the Warsaw Central
railway station (tram lines "9" and "25"), and is open on working days
from 10 AM until 7 PM (2 PM-7 PM on Wednesdays).

We are still looking for more organisations and institutions willing to
hold the exhibition--if  there's anyone from the neighbouring (European)
countries willing to get involved or just looking for some information,
feel free to approach me at <tomasz.kozlowski @ wikimedia.pl>.

We hope to have a great event, and even if you can't visit the
exhibition, please keep your fingers crossed that it goes well, and
spread the news!

PS For those going to take a peek at the exhibition _in real life_,
there's also a Facebook event:
<https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100219446762276>.

Regards,
--