[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia India Program Trust

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Wed Nov 16 08:29:54 UTC 2011

Dear Bishakha,

I apologize for intruding in this discussion again as someone who has
little knowledge about India and the local situation.

I'm myself not entirely convinced that there always should be one
organization in one country - but it is out default. That means that if we
want to drift off drom that default, there should be a good reason for it.
That is a different mindset of course than that organizations have
to prove itself.

There are a few things special here however. The first is that one of the
organizations is a membership organization, and the other isn't. To me,
with my limited knowledge and understanding, it would indeed seem logical
given our background to put the membership organization at the center
stage. However, at the same time I can understand that this organization
might not be ready to handle the funds yet that it needs to. But again -
the default would lie imho with the membership organization. If the Trust
wants to deviate that is fine, but ideally that would always happen with
the consent of the chapter.

And of course, now that there *are* two organizations, they should
communicate well with each other. Somehow we should ensure that, and I hope
some good routes are being found to let everyone on the chapter believe
that they are being communicated well with to the full extent. Like was
noted somewhere else in this thread, if there is a paid organization just
doing stuff you'd like to do as a volunteer as well - that can be pretty
darn demotivating. And possibly harmful for the volunteer community in the
long run. Lets just be careful.

Another is the confusing name - both organizations have the words
"Wikimedia India" in their name. Since chapters are usually identified with
Wikimedia Country, this trust is already to me confusing, since it implies
it is set up *by* the chapter. Choosing a different name might resolve some
issues here.

I'm not trying to say here whether those conversations and consent happened
- at the beginning of the discussion I was merely trying to understand the
situation better, to get a better grasp of who talked with who, who were
involved in decision making processes here. From chapters we expect no less
than transparent founding processes on meta, involving the community.
Receiving feedback and even opening up the bylaws for discussion. I have
not seen such a process, but may have missed it. If we are to place the
trust at the center stage (are we? still unclear to me, so not suggesting
anything here) we should *at least* require the same standards as we do for
new chapters.

At least for me this is the major part of why I started off this discussion
in the first place. It is no attack, it has mainly been a set of questions
which have gotten answered in many different ways throughout this
discussion. That alone leaves me to believe that there are ways to improve.

Best regards,

Lodewijk

No dia 16 de Novembro de 2011 04:08, Bishakha Datta <bishakhadatta at gmail.com