[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia India Program Trust

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 12 11:30:06 UTC 2011

Thank you Liam for using the term, "organisational roles," instead of
the more pretentious, "movement roles." I find the whole thread
disturbing. I am and have always been a strong supporter of the autonomy
of both projects and chapters, and from that vantage point it is
difficult to see this initiative as leading to anything other than the
undermining of a chapter.

It is all proceeding in a predictable pattern.  It pits young amateurs
who have embraced an ideal as a labour of love and who have a naïveté
about the ways of the world against goal-oriented professionals well
schooled in the sophisms that produce success. This does not establish
intent or malice; it's just the way things develop unless someone is
willing to step away and recognize the process for what it is.

I am an amateur. I am not motivated by dreams of a sinecure or reveries
of prestige. I don't care if anything that I do becomes a polished
feature articles. I don't care if the site has a professional appearance
with consistent format throughout. I am not obsessed by growth, or by
leading the global south by the hand into salvation. It's nice if that
can happen, and nicer if they can figure it out for themselves.  My
bottom line remains a commitment to share the sum of the world's
knowledge. Not more, not less.

When I hear of things like these Indian developments, I start to get the
impression that we have lost our way. As much as the organizers may
deny, it's as plain as day that these two organizations are being set up
to compete. That alienates people.

Ray