[Foundation-l] Ideas for newbie recruitment

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:03:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't remember if we ever asked, in our general surveys, how and when
> contributors discovered that they /could/ edit. But perhaps after
> they've edited it's too late becauser they've already fallen in the
> category "I don't remember, I've always known it".

I remember how it happened for me. I was just browsing and I clicked
on a red link expecting to be taken to a page on the subject. I was
presented with the editing interface and was utterly confused. I
thought I'd broken the site, that the site had catastrophically failed
somehow.

I remember one of my early contributions was to somewhere like the
Village Pump saying what I'd experienced and what my initial reaction
was and positing that maybe other newbies would assume they'd broken
the site too. But I think the response was "no, I don't think people
will believe they broke the site." It didn't really generate much
discussion as far as I recall.

Bodnotbod