[Foundation-l] Frustration with WMF = WP

me at marcusbuck.org me at marcusbuck.org
Wed Nov 2 10:36:37 UTC 2011

Wait am moment... Wikipedia Zero is an extension to Wikipedia that
filters out images? And not even some of them on a totally voluntary
base but all of them for everybody? I guess I better shut down my
e-mail account to prevent the flood of angry mailing list posts from
the censorship theoreticists...

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox

(To make a contribution to the issue Billinghurst raised: As I
understand it, Wikipedia Zero is a offer to mobile providers who
restrict web access to a select few websites to limit traffic. They
only allow access to a limited set of "most popular" websites with low
bandwidth requirements. The providers probably are just interested in
Wikipedia and not in its less popular sister projects... It's a
transitional solution anyways. In a few years even the Global South
will have sweet mobile internet connectivity and everybody can enjoy
Wikisource and Wikiversity on mobile with images!)