[Foundation-l] One down, three to go

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Sat May 28 01:57:01 UTC 2011

No, of course there was no intention, stated or
otherwise, to help. That was exactly my point, in
case you missed it. If you have to ask about how
you are expected to help, you can't afford to do
it. You are out of your depth and out of your
league (absolutely no offense intended).

I love English lessons. They take me way back to
my youth. Of course everybody is entitled to his
own definitions of kind and nice, but for "kind"
I'll stick to "having or showing a friendly,
generous, and considerate nature," and for
"nice," "pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory." If
you were trying to be both kind and nice, I
appreciate that, and regret not having recognized
it. Please don't let me forget to let you know
whenever you do succeed, but spare me of "taking
up time from [your] life, for [my] potential
benefit alone." Please don't. Nobody will believe you, and neither will I.

 From then on, I have no idea of what you were writing about.

Dealing with an old hand is no kid's business.
Got to tread very lightly here. "Whistling past
the graveyard" is a very appropriate metaphor
considering that the problems, no matter how
large or small, of those that are there, are
definitely over. Time eventually solves all our
problems. If you are "patient and persistent enough" they will go away.

Maintaining best practices is an entirely
different matter. I would tend to agree that
THERE ARE problems, but it's beyond me to list
them all, or the projects where they persist.
Given that human nature is what it is, I strongly
believe that there is room for continuos
improvement, both at the personal level (and I
mean no offense to anyone, by implying that any
of the members of this list, except myself, are
less than perfect) and in each and everyone of
the Wikimedia Foundation projects (and I mean no
offense to any project and/or members of any
project, by implying that any of them, except myself, is less than perfect).

Now comes the tricky part. Let's review what I wrote about Meta, for example:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Vapmachado#Updated_request_for_assistance

"The work on Meta was being done in an orderly
manner until the disruption provoked and caused
by those same people mentioned above. The user is
the same. Trouble only started after the
interference of the same people from the
Portuguese Wikipedia on Meta. Their votes can be
seen popping up on the RfA. There has never been
a single block on any other Wikimedia project
where these editors do not have any influence.
The obvious conclusion is that the hostile
behavior stays with that people, not this user."

Thousands of people are involved in those
processes. It has been and it continues to be
discussed extensively elsewhere. I might be one
of the few or the only one who has patiently and
persistently brought it up here, sometimes at the
risk of disrupting this list. I do apologize for
that. I wish I didn't have any reasons to do it,
but nothing would give me greater satisfaction
than realizing that I made a speckle of a
difference in making things better for others, so
they would not have to go through the same that I
did, and at least one Wikimedia project would be better off for that.

I recall how some people have been so baffled
that they wonder about what are my intentions. I
don't think I ever answered. We all know that
"hell is full of good intentions." What I have
done is nothing, but whatever I have done for the
Wikimedia Foundation projects nobody can take
away from me. Now, would you believe me if I told
you that there are some people who are spending
their time and effort trying to do just that? Sad
isn't it? But yes, it is true, you better believe me.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado
Executive Editor,
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/pt:Log%C3%ADstica>Logística
a Logistics wikibook in Portuguese
The One and Only Editor to ever develop and complete
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pt:Wikip%C3%A9dia:Projetos/Escolares_e_universit%C3%A1rios#Projectos_em_curso>academic
projects on the Brazilian Wikipedia