[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

K. Peachey p858snake at gmail.com
Thu May 26 23:31:17 UTC 2011

We already get spammed enough with notices, which is one of the
reasons many people hide them permanently via css so they never
intrude again, which would make them pointless for the more
established users, also overkill for what was meant to be (from my
understanding) only a few minutes of downtime. Just because we can
send something via notices doesn't mean we should, it can and has been
devaluing their importance to people.

As for the earlier comments about changing the irc channel, how about
we point it to the #wikimedia-status (or whatever its called) channel
that is designed to hand out info in downtimes compared to the general
#wikipedia which i believe it currently points to.
-Peachey